5 replies to this topic

#1 foobar

foobar

HL2:CTF Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

This is an updated installation guide for HL2:CTF 2.1 post-Steampipe.  This update is required by servers to support the new release of the SDK2006 this past September 2013.  Without it, clients will receive authentication errors unless they block the SDK2006 upgrade in Steam.

Feb 22 2014:  At the moment it appears new Source 2006 Dedicated Server Installs causes an error when connecting from the In-Game server browser.  Bug report lives here. Players can still connect from the Steam Client server browser, and using the console "connect" command.

Background:  Earlier in 2013 Valve started moving its game base over to a new content distribution system known as "SteamPipe".  This update brings enhancements to game publishers such as seamless updates through the Steam distribution network,a new file packaging format used by some games, amongst other "improvements".  The majority of Valve games (if not all) have moved to this new system, but servers needed to be updated too.  

BASIC HL2CTF 2.1 DEDICATED SERVER SETUP

Episode 1 Source SDK 2006

If you had previously setup servers using HLDSUpdateTool note that HLDSUpdateTool is now DEPRECATED.  SteamCMD has fully replaced HLDSUpdateTool and the installation and maintenance procedures for SteamCMD are different than HLDSUpdateTool.  More information is available from: https://developer.va...m/wiki/SteamCMD

SETUP OF A HL2CTF 2.1 WINDOWS DEDICATED SERVER

*Your server's CPU must support the SSE2 instruction set.

Replace C: in the following instructions with your dedicated server's drive letter.

1. Download the Windows SteamCMD tool from http://media.steampo...er/steamcmd.zip and place it into a folder named “steam” on your server drive.  ie: C:\STEAM
  2. Open a command prompt and run steamcmd.  SteamCMD will download additional support files and upon success, present you with a Steam> prompt.
C:
cd \steam
steamcmd

3.    At the Steam> prompt (if you exited steamcmd, just run it again from the command line to come back to it) enter the following commands:

login anonymous
force_install_dir c:\srcds
app_update 205 validate
quit

Alternatively you may install the srcds directly from the Windows command prompt using the following command:

C:\> cd \steam
C:\steam> steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\srcds +app_update 205 validate

Upon successful completion you will now have a nice new shiny srcds installation in c:\srcds.  If the install fails, just re-run the commands above.  SteamCMD will re-validate your installation and continue installing from where it left off.

4.    After all of the episode 1 (2006 SDK) files have downloaded, extract the latest HL2CTF zip (with folders) into your C:\srcds folder which will create the \hl2ctf folder.

Edit the c:\srcds\hl2ctf\cfg\server.cfg and start your HL2CTF server as follows:

c:\srcds> srcds.exe -console -game hl2ctf +maxplayers 16 +map ctf_floodzone 

SETUP OF A HL2CTF 2.1 LINUX DEDICATED SERVER

!!! AS OF SEPTEMBER 2013 THE DEDICATED SERVER FOR LINUX IS NOT AVAILABLE.  THIS MIGHT CHANGE IN THE FUTURE, BUT WHO KNOWS !!!

It is possible to run the Windows Dedicated Server on a Linux system using Wine, however we do not recommend this option unless you are comfortable troubleshooting technical issues in the Linux environment.  Beware, things may not work quite right.

1.    Install Wine 1.7 from http://www.winehq.org/download.  Please note your Linux distribution may include older versions of Wine that do not quite work right (crashes, console unusable, etc).

2.    Run “wineconsole” to open a Wine Windows command prompt.

3.    Follow the Windows installation procedure above.

4.    Note that the option “-console” may not run correctly under Wine.  Instead use a command line such as:

c:\srcds> srcds.exe -game hl2ctf +maxplayers 16 +map ctf_floodzone

If all goes well, you will have a usable srcds server.  You should be able to use the Windows versions of eventscripts (untested by me), metamod, and sourcemod as well (tested).

Attached Files

Edited by foobar, 23 February 2014 - 10:48 PM.

• MeNtHoL, Sacrifist and Yahweh like this

#2 Sacrifist

Sacrifist

HL2:CTF Level Designer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

very nice work

#3 foobar

foobar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hi:

At the moment it appears new Source 2006 Dedicated Server Installs (since February 14 2014) cause an error when connecting from the In-Game server browser.  I've posted a bug report here.  Players can still connect from the Steam Client server browser, and using the console "connect" command.

Admins, please look over the bug report on Valve's Github tracker and add anything you feel is relevant to the issue.

I have been able to replace my new srcds with a slightly older version with success.

[foo] bar

Edited by foobar, 22 February 2014 - 02:26 AM.

#4 Yahweh

Yahweh

HL2:CTF Playtester

• Playtester
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, I've been struggling with this all week.  I got to the point that I know that removing sv_master_legacy_mode 0 or changing it to 1 resolves the issue but of course the server no longer show up in the server browse.  (I can connect via the Favorites tab)

I'll try working with an older backup and see if it works.    Assuming it works, I can package it up to provide to anyone who needs it... (there's no a licencing issue with that is there?).

Edited by Yahweh, 22 February 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#5 Yahweh

Yahweh

HL2:CTF Playtester

• Playtester
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Works!  Thanks! If anyone needs a copy of the old files let me know.

#6 foobar

foobar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, I've been struggling with this all week.  I got to the point that I know that removing sv_master_legacy_mode 0 or changing it to 1 resolves the issue but of course the server no longer show up in the server browse.  (I can connect via the Favorites tab)

I'll try working with an older backup and see if it works.    Assuming it works, I can package it up to provide to anyone who needs it... (there's no a licencing issue with that is there?).

Interesting.  That should probably be noted on the issue tracker.

I have an archive available as well.  I don't believe it's a problem to distribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users